- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (2 to 3 pounds)
- 2-1/2 quarts water
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked fine egg noodles
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- In a stockpot, combine the first 9 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours. Remove chicken; allow to cool. Strain broth; discard bay leaf.
- Skim fat. Debone chicken and cut into chunks; return chicken and broth to pan. Add the noodles, celery and carrots; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until noodles and vegetables are tender. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken Noodle Soup
"Delicious! Didn't put in salt, my favourite!"
"I have used this delicious recipe for years after seeing it in a Taste of Homes Soup magazine. It is so easy and yummy - I especially like to make it when someone in my family has a cold. :)"
"all I can say is good good good"
"This was a great recipe. I will definitely make it again!"
"This is absolutely wonderful! I did use a whole large onion, added some frozen peas, garlic and rosemary. Will make this time and again!"
"I love the homemade taste of this. I will keep this one in my recipe box."
"Great soup. Put a copy in my favorite recipes notebook."
"I made this recipe using some fresh herbs, rosemary and thyme. I also added some fresh ginger to the first process, then chopped a portion of that to go into the soup. And I added chopped garlic. It was delicous! Will definitely make this again."
"I'm sad to admit that this was my first attempt at chicken noodle soup. The recipe suggested using Debone chicken, that was not my "cup of tea." So, I boiled several chicken breasts with the quarts of water, later cubed these, and it worked out great. I was taken away with the flavor of this soup and it tasted "healthy" too. I shared it with several friends and they had the same positive reaction, Hmmmmm, so goooooooood! This soup couldn't be better if may say so myself."