- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (2 to 3 pounds)
- 2-1/2 quarts water
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked fine egg noodles
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- In a stockpot, combine the first 9 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours. Remove chicken; allow to cool. Strain broth; discard bay leaf.
- Skim fat. Debone chicken and cut into chunks; return chicken and broth to pan. Add the noodles, celery and carrots; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until noodles and vegetables are tender. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken Noodle Soup
Sort By :
This is absolutely wonderful! I did use a whole large onion, added some frozen peas, garlic and rosemary. Will make this time and again!
I love the homemade taste of this. I will keep this one in my recipe box.
Great soup. Put a copy in my favorite recipes notebook.
I made this recipe using some fresh herbs, rosemary and thyme. I also added some fresh ginger to the first process, then chopped a portion of that to go into the soup. And I added chopped garlic. It was delicous! Will definitely make this again.
I also boiled off just regular chicken breasts and so added an extra tsp of chicken bouillon since I won't have the flavor from the bone.