Chicken Neapolitan Recipe
- 8 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed tomato bisque soup, undiluted
- 3/4 cup red wine or beef broth
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Hot cooked noodles or rice
- Sliced ripe olives and minced fresh parsley, optional
- 1. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, cook chicken, uncovered, over medium-high heat in oil for 8-9 minutes. Turn chicken; add the onion, garlic and mushrooms. Cook 8 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reaches 170°.
- 2. Using a slotted spoon, remove four chicken breast halves and half of the vegetables to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Cool.
- 3. In a large bowl, whisk together the soup, wine, basil and oregano; pour half over chicken in skillet. Cover and simmer for 5-10 minutes or until heated through. Serve over noodles. Garnish with olives and parsley if desired.
- 4. Pour remaining soup mixture over chicken in baking dish. Cover and freeze for up to 3 months.
- 5. To use frozen chicken: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Cover and bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until heated through. Serve over noodles. Garnish with olives and parsley if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
1 each: 138 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 912mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein
Reviews for Chicken Neapolitan
"Really enjoyed this dish. I started the veggies before adding the chicken because boneless chicken doesn't need to cook as long as the total time listed. I thought the bisque was a little too sweet, but hubby and I definitely liked this dish. Will make again, thanks for sharing!"
"A most awesome dish , nice rich sauce and lots of flavor . I don't rate many dishes 5 star but this is one of them"
"Excellent. I have made this dish for company twice and everyone raves about it. I also like the fact that it can be made in advance and frozen. This recipe is a definite keeper."
"I found the sauce rather sweet so I added a bit of balsamic vinegar to cut the sweetness. Also my husband suggested adding a little cream to it to mellow out the taste. The overall effect was wonderful. Everyone of my picky eaters went back for seconds!"
"Fast, easy, and delicious!"
"Yes, its a bit on the sweet side. I use POMO tomato sauce. Mangia!!jimmygourmet."
"I generally do not use soups in recipes but in the case of this one, especially if you don't like sweet soups, use Amy's Organic Chunky Tomato Bisque (and if you can find the low sodium variety, so much the better). The soup is intensely flavored and not at all sweet, perfect for this recipe and much healthier."
"the bisque is about the same as regular tomato soup except that it has small pieces of tomato in it. Tastes pretty close on the amount of sugar"
"Can anyone tell me if condensed tomato bisque soup is sweet, like regular tomato soup? This recipe looks good, but I dislike sweet tomato sauce. Thanks!"
"I have made this 3 times so far and even have batch in the freezer. I just brought this to the home of a relative who had just had surgery. The whole family including two picky teenagers devoured it! Success. Super easy but tastes like it took hours and freezes very well. If frozen, add fresh parsley and the sliced olives just before serving."
"This recipe was very quick and easy and had a wonderful flavor. My whole family enjoyed it."
"Delicious! This was very, very quick. I didn't have fresh mushrooms on hand, so I had to use canned and it turned out great. This recipe also cuts in half easily if you don't feel like doing the double to freeze half. We will make this again, and frequently!"
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.