Chicken Mushroom Stew Recipe
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cups diced zucchini
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons each dried thyme, oregano, marjoram, and basil
- 1. Cut chicken into 1-in. cubes; brown in 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. In the same skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion, zucchini and green pepper in remaining oil until crisp-tender; add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 2. Place in slow cooker. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, water and seasonings. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until the meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/3 cups: 237 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 82mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 27g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Chicken Mushroom Stew
"I would omit the mushrooms, then take away from the zucchini. I would add chicken broth instead of water."
"This dish is excellent. I double the recipe and freeze it for weeknight dinners. It just needs some salt."
"Really bland and not at all what I expected. My husband found this recipe and was begging me to make it. He thought it was "ok" but thought it would be a lot better as well. My daughter and I both ended up eating something else."