These crisp, cheesy melts look special and taste great! "On busy weeknights, I like to serve these with a salad for a satisfying meal. But they make hearty appetizers as well," notes Sandra Futros of Dugald, Manitoba.
- 1-1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 pound medium fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 16 slices French bread (1 inch thick)
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook chicken and mushrooms in oil for 5 minutes. Stir in soy sauce; cook 7 minutes longer. Stir in cream; cook for 4-6 minutes or until sauce is thickened (do not boil).
- In a small bowl, combine butter and garlic; spread over bread. Place buttered side up on an ungreased baking sheet. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Top each slice with 1/4 cup chicken mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. Broil for 1-2 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Yield: 16 appetizers.
Originally published as Chicken Mushroom Melts in Taste of Home December/January 2008, p52
Reviews for Chicken Mushroom Melts
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review