Chicken Mole Recipe
- 12 bone-in chicken thighs (about 4-1/2 pounds), skin removed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- MOLE SAUCE:
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole tomatoes, drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 dried ancho chilies, stems and seeds removed
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Fresh cilantro leaves, optional
- 1. Sprinkle chicken with salt; place in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Place the tomatoes, onion, chilies, almonds, raisins, chocolate, oil, chipotle pepper, garlic, cumin and cinnamon in a food processor; cover and process until blended. Pour over chicken.
Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until chicken is tender; skim fat. Serve chicken with sauce, and sprinkle with cilantro if desired.
Freeze option: Cool chicken in mole sauce. Freeze in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through slowly in a covered skillet or Dutch oven until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165°, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Yield: 12 servings.
1 chicken thigh with 1/3 cup sauce: 311 calories, 18g fat (5g saturated fat), 86mg cholesterol, 378mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 26g protein .
Reviews for Chicken Mole
"It was a 4 star with the recipe as is. When I made it the second time I used peanuts instead of Almonds, and Breast instead of thighs which made it 5 stars with my whole family. For the left overs, I added some peanut butter and couple splash of chicken broth to make it more saucy to put over rice, and we all loved it even more. Next time I'll add the peanut butter and chicken stock when first cooking. It was Great over rice."
"I will make this again, but use sweeter chocolate. It was a little too bitter."
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.