Chicken Mole Recipe
- 12 bone-in chicken thighs (about 4-1/2 pounds), skin removed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- MOLE SAUCE:
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole tomatoes, drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 dried ancho chilies, stems and seeds removed
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Fresh cilantro leaves, optional
- 1. Sprinkle chicken with salt; place in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Place the tomatoes, onion, chilies, almonds, raisins, chocolate, oil, chipotle pepper, garlic, cumin and cinnamon in a food processor; cover and process until blended. Pour over chicken.
Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until chicken is tender; skim fat. Serve chicken with sauce, and sprinkle with cilantro if desired.
Freeze option: Cool chicken in mole sauce. Freeze in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through slowly in a covered skillet or Dutch oven until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165°, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Yield: 12 servings.
1 chicken thigh with 1/3 cup sauce equals 311 calories, 18 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 86 mg cholesterol, 378 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 26 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.