- 2 dried ancho chilies
- 1-1/2 pounds tomatillos, husks removed, halved
- 2 medium onions, sliced, divided
- 1 serrano pepper, halved and seeded
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 pounds bone-in chicken breast halves, skin removed
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 whole cloves
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar-Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Place chilies in a small bowl. Cover with boiling water; let stand for 20 minutes. Drain. Remove stems and seeds. Coarsely chop; set aside. Place the tomatillos, 1 onion, serrano pepper and garlic in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 10-15 minutes or until tender, stirring once.
- In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil. Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker. In the same skillet, saute remaining onion until tender. Add 1 teaspoon cumin, chili powder, pepper, cinnamon, cloves and hydrated chilies; cook 1 minute longer. Discard cloves.
- Place almonds in a food processor; cover and process until ground. Add spiced onion mixture and chocolate; cover and process until blended. Transfer to a small bowl.
- Place the tomatillo mixture, lime juice, salt and remaining cumin in food processor; cover and process until chopped. Stir into almond mixture. Pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours or until chicken is tender. Sprinkle each serving with cheese and cilantro. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken Mole Ole
Sort By :
"This was a lot of work. My family just said it was okay. My son thought you could get almost the same results with a can of chili."
"The sweet spices, peppers, chocolate and nuts make a complex sauce bursting with flavor. I can't wait to have some more!I used two breasts and other pieces of chicken as well, and it worked fine."