- 3/4 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup merlot or additional chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Hot cooked pasta, optional
- Place the mushrooms, onion and garlic in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Top with chicken.
- In a small bowl, combine the tomato paste, broth, wine, tapioca, sugar, basil, salt and pepper. Pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Sprinkle with cheese. Serve with pasta if desired. Yield: 5 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Chicken Merlot with Mushrooms
Sort By :
I really loved this recipe. I covered it with a hearty sprinkle if Italian blend cheese before serving. Served with side of hot pasta and plenty of crusty Italian bread for sopping up sauce and cheese.
Great! Superb! Amazing! Need I go on. Make it!!
In response to the person who could not find instant tapioca - you need to look in with the instant pudding. Kraft makes a Minute Tapioca in small, Jiffy mix type box.
To others wondering about substitutes, I found this tidbit on the 'net:
INGREDIENT - 1 Tbls. cornstarch,
2 Tbls. flour or 1 1/3 Tbls. quick-cooking tapioca;
1 Tbls. flour,
SUBSTITUTE - 1/2 Tbls. cornstarch or 2 tsp. quick-cooking tapioca;
1 Tbls. tapioca,
1 1/2 Tbls. all-purpose flour
I am cooking up this dish now. Will write further review once it has been served.
kaela0124 you can substitute cornstarch for tapioca, use half the amount and don't use it until the end of your cooking process. I would mix it with a little cold water before adding it, like you would for gravy.
I have read all the reviews and maybe I just missed the answer. But I just went to 3 stores - Jewel, Dominicks and Walmart and everyone told me they don't carry quick cooking tapioca anymore. Do I use the same measurement of cornstarch?
More Recipe Collections
- Boneless Chicken Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Pasta >
- Chicken Pasta Recipes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Chicken Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Italian Chicken Recipes >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >
- Mushroom Main Dish Recipes >
- Mushroom Recipes >
- Pasta & Sauces >
- Pasta Dinners >