- 3/4 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup merlot or additional chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Hot cooked pasta, optional
- Place the mushrooms, onion and garlic in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Top with chicken.
- In a small bowl, combine the tomato paste, broth, wine, tapioca, sugar, basil, salt and pepper. Pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Sprinkle with cheese. Serve with pasta if desired.
- Freeze option: Freeze cooled chicken mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Yield: 5 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Chicken Merlot with Mushrooms
Sort By :
"Not the best chicken I have ever tasted. It needed something else, not sure what, to give it some flavor. Sort of blah. In my slow cooker it only took 3 hours at the most; any longer and it would have been mushy. Good idea to check for doneness about half way through the cooking time."
"I used 3 boneless, skinless chicken. Very good. No longer than 5 hours on low in my slow cooker. Need the tapioca to make the sauce velvety. Don't leave it out. A keeper."
"Very good! Great deep flavor."
"I really loved this recipe. I covered it with a hearty sprinkle if Italian blend cheese before serving. Served with side of hot pasta and plenty of crusty Italian bread for sopping up sauce and cheese."
"Great! Superb! Amazing! Need I go on. Make it!!"