Chicken Marinara with Pasta Recipe
“My son Logan, 11, and I created this basic but very good dish. It was the first meal he made all by himself (with supervision, of course). Best of all, it was a real hit with the three friends he invited for dinner.” Joanie Fuson - Indianapolis, Indiana
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat Italian salad dressing
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano or 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 9 ounces uncooked whole wheat spaghetti
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 tablespoons shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Flatten chicken to 1/2-in. thickness; place in a large resealable plastic bag. Add salad dressing. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes, parsley, oregano, brown sugar, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Drain and discard marinade. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 4-6 minutes on each side or until no longer pink. When chicken is cool enough to handle, cut into 1/4-in. strips.
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to package directions. Stir Parmesan cheese into sauce. Drain spaghetti. Serve with chicken and sauce; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Marinara with Pasta in Healthy Cooking June/July 2010, p55
Reviews for Chicken Marinara with Pasta
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Sep. 26, 2010
"Simple, different and very tasty."