Chicken Manicotti Recipe
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 16 uncooked manicotti shells
- 2 jars (26 ounces each) spaghetti sauce, divided
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage, cooked and drained
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2/3 cup water
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. Rub garlic powder over chicken; cut into 1-in. strips. Stuff chicken into manicotti shells. Spread 1 cup spaghetti sauce in each of two greased 13x9-in. baking dishes.
- 2. Place eight stuffed manicotti shells in each dish. Sprinkle with sausage and mushrooms. Pour remaining spaghetti sauce over the top. Sprinkle with cheese.
Drizzle water around the edge of each dish. Cover and bake 65-70 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink and pasta is tender.
Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked casseroles for up to 1 month. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 375°. Bake casseroles as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°. Yield: 2 casseroles (4 servings each).
1 serving (1 each) equals 546 calories, 26 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 115 mg cholesterol, 980 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 41 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.