My favorite main dish recipe from Mom, this casserole is considered "birthday food" because we often requested it for our birthdays. Hearty and flavorful, it's a real family-pleaser anytime!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 3/4 pound process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 2 packages (7 ounces each) uncooked elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Snipped fresh parsley, optional
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add cream and 1-1/2 cups of the broth. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; add cheese; stir until melted. Add the macaroni, chicken, pimientos, salt and pepper. Add additional broth if needed.
- Pour into a 3-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with parsley if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Macaroni Casserole in Taste of Home August/September 1993, p37
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken Macaroni Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review