- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 3/4 pound process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 2 packages (7 ounces each) uncooked elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Snipped fresh parsley, optional
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add cream and 1-1/2 cups of the broth. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; add cheese; stir until melted. Add the macaroni, chicken, pimientos, salt and pepper. Add additional broth if needed.
- Pour into a 3-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with parsley if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken Macaroni Casserole
Sort By :
I made this casserole 2 nights ago & was a little afraid that it wouldn't have much flavor so I cooked a small onion in butter until tender, mixed it in. Then I added bread crumbs and SHREDDED Parmesan cheese on top before baking. It was a huge hit with my husband and my son.
good for weeknights, not good enough for company
I exchanged one cup of the milk for a can of cream of chicken, I kept everything else the same. Our whole family loved it!!!
Way to much sodium and fat! Use low sodium broth, either low fat half/half or low fat non-dairy creamer, low fat cheese, no salt, add some onion/grn pepper, poultry seasoning,sage, rosemary, or other spices would help with the flavor.
I substituted one can of cream of mushroom soup for 1 cup of the milk and used 2 tsp. of Morton's Nature's blend in place of all the seasoning. Was very good.