- 1 package (16 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Cook macaroni according to package directions, adding broccoli during the last 5 minutes of cooking. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken, onion, salt and pepper; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Remove from pan.
- In same pan, melt butter. Stir in flour, paprika and cayenne until smooth; gradually whisk in milk and broth. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese and mustard until cheese is melted.
- Add macaroni mixture and chicken to sauce. Heat through, stirring to combine. Yield: 12 servings (1 cup each).
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken Mac & Cheese
"This was easy to make, though not as cheesy as I had hoped. I even added an extra cup of cheese! The white sauce was a bit gritty, but that may have been my fault. I probably won't make this again."
"This was easy to make, but the flavor was rather bland. Maybe some additional paprika and red pepper would help. I will likely not make this again."