Chicken Loaf with Mushroom Gravy Recipe
- 1-1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1-1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup white wine or additional reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1. Place chicken in the freezer for 15-20 minutes or until it begins to freeze. Cut into 1-in. pieces. In a food processor, cover and process chicken in batches until ground.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, bread crumbs, mayonnaise, soup mix, parsley, horseradish, salt, garlic powder, sage, thyme and pepper. Crumble chicken over mixture and mix well.
- 3. Shape into a loaf; place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until no pink remains and a meat thermometer reads 165°. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- 4. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute mushrooms in butter until tender. Add the broth, rosemary, salt and white pepper. Bring to a boil. Combine cornstarch and wine until smooth; gradually stir into mushroom mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with meat loaf. Yield: 10 servings.
1 each: 290 calories, 17g fat (4g saturated fat), 118mg cholesterol, 807mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 25g protein.
Reviews for Chicken Loaf with Mushroom Gravy
"I made this meat loaf (minus the mushrooms cause I didn't have any and really do not like them). Tasted great! Served with sweet potatoes and veggie - will definitely make again"
"We really enjoyed this recipe. I made very little variation to the loaf, itself. I did use 2 lbs. of ground chicken to make things a little easier. For the gravy, I used a floured roux with the chicken broth, wine, thyme instead of rosemary and salt/pepper. I also didn't have fresh mushrooms, so used canned instead. Everything came out great!"
"I used only chicken breast... as that is what I had on hand. The only complaint I have is that it didn't form a "loaf" very well. Maybe if I would have used some chicken thighs too, like the recipe said, it would have been thicker and formed better. Either way, it was excellent. The flavors are mild, but so very yummy! This is a great family meal. My two year old and 10 month shared in it too. My 10 month old daughter LOOVED it! This was the perfect meal for her because the chicken was ground and the flavors were light for her beginner's palette. I served it with mashed potatoes and there was plenty of gravy to go around for both the chicken loaf and potatoes.I divided the loaf in half and froze the other portion. It looks like it should do well and I'm glad to add another excellent freezer meal to my recipe box."
"This recipe is soooooo good! I've recently been unable to stomach regular meat loaf due to the spices, so I made this as an alternative. I like it way more than any meatloaf I've ever made! I especially appreciate that the recipe has you grind your own chicken, instead of buying ground chicken -- I'm not a fan of storebought ground chicken at all! I didn't tweak with this recipe at all for this first time...and I'm glad I didn't! It was perfect!"
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.