VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup seasoned croutons
- 1 pound chicken livers, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 16 pitted ripe olives, halved, optional
- 4 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Coat four individual 10-oz. custard cups or ramekins with cooking spray. Divide croutons among dishes; set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute chicken livers in 1 tablespoon oil for about 8 minutes or until outsides are lightly browned and centers are still slightly pink. Remove with a slotted spoon and place over croutons. Discard drippings from the skillet.
- In same skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion, garlic and olives if desired in remaining oil until vegetables are tender. Remove with a slotted spoon and place over chicken livers. Sprinkle with bacon; top with spaghetti sauce. Break an egg into each dish, then sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 25-30 minutes or until whites are completely set and the yolks begin to thicken. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Livers Royale in Country Chicken Cookbook 1995, p73