Chicken Liver Pate
My family loves this spread with cracker. But I've also put it to use as a sandwich filling with lettuce and tomato.
Roberta Wolff, Waltham, Massachusetts
12 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 1 pound chicken livers
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup rendered chicken fat or canola oil
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 2 Eggland's Best Hard-Cooked Peeled Eggs, quartered
- 1 to 2 tablespoons sherry or chicken broth
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Melba rounds or assorted crackers
- In a large skillet, saute chicken livers and onion in chicken fat for
- 10 minutes or until livers are no longer pink. Transfer to a food
- processor; cover and process until chicken livers are coarsely
- Add the mushrooms, eggs, 1 tablespoon sherry, salt and pepper. Cover
- and process until smooth, adding more sherry or broth if needed for
- pate to reach desired consistency.
- Transfer to a bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Serve
- with melba rounds or assorted crackers. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1/4 cup (calculated without melba toast or crackers) equals 119 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 206 mg cholesterol, 189 mg sodium,