Chicken Liver Pate with Walnuts and Figs Recipe
- 1 cup dry red wine or chicken broth
- 3/4 cup dried figs
- 1 pound chicken livers
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted, divided
- 2 tablespoons Cognac or brandy
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Thinly sliced green onions
- Red leaf lettuce
- 1 French bread baguette (10-1/2 ounces), sliced and toasted
- 1. In a small saucepan, bring wine to a simmer. Remove from the heat; add the figs. Let stand for several hours or overnight; drain. Cut figs into quarters. Transfer to a small bowl; cover and refrigerate.
- 2. Line a 3-cup bowl with plastic wrap and spray with cooking spray.
- 3. In a large saucepan, combine the chicken livers, broth and onion. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until meat is no longer pink, stirring occasionally. Drain.
- 4. Transfer to a food processor; cover and process until coarsely chopped. Add the butter, 1/4 cups walnuts, Cognac and salt. Cover and process until smooth. Transfer to prepared bowl. Cover and refrigerate until firm, at least 3 hours.
- 5. To serve, unmold pate onto a serving platter. Press remaining walnuts onto sides of pate. Arrange green onions and a few figs on top. Place lettuce around pate. Sprinkle remaining figs over lettuce. Serve with baguette slices. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 2-1/3 cups.
2 tablespoons (calculated without onions and lettuce) equals 285 calories, 16 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 114 mg cholesterol, 289 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 7 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.