My family loves this spread with cracker. But I've also put it to use as a sandwich filling with lettuce and tomato. —Roberta Wolff, Waltham, Massachusetts
- 1 pound chicken livers
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup rendered chicken fat or canola oil
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, quartered
- 1 to 2 tablespoons sherry or chicken broth
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Melba rounds or assorted crackers
- In a large skillet, saute chicken livers and onion in chicken fat for 10 minutes or until livers are no longer pink. Transfer to a food processor; cover and process until chicken livers are coarsely chopped.
- Add the mushrooms, eggs, 1 tablespoon sherry, salt and pepper. Cover and process until smooth, adding more sherry or broth if needed for pate to reach desired consistency.
- Transfer to a bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Serve with melba rounds or assorted crackers. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Liver Pate in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2005, p192
Reviews for Chicken Liver Pate
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 5, 2010
"Thank you Roberta! This is a great recipe. While you call it pate, to me it is chopped liver. I love that you use schmaltz (chicken fat) in yours. I will make this weekly! Thank you again."