Chicken Lima Bean Soup
When I was little, my father could be found in the kitchen during his free time. This soup is one of his most memorable dishes...and one of my most treasured recipes.
14 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 2-1/2 hours
- 1 pound dried large lima beans
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 3 quarts water
- 2 celery ribs with leaves, sliced
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2-1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 4 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a Dutch oven, combine the beans, chicken, water, celery, bouillon,
- salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for
- 2 hours or until beans are tender.
- Remove chicken. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones;
- discard bones. Cut meat into bite-size pieces; return to pan. Add
- carrots; simmer for 30 minutes or until tender. Stir in spinach and
- parsley; heat through. Yield: 12-14 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 227 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 38 mg cholesterol, 793 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 19 g protein.