- 1 pound dried large lima beans
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 3 quarts water
- 2 celery ribs with leaves, sliced
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2-1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 4 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a Dutch oven, combine the beans, chicken, water, celery, bouillon, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours or until beans are tender.
- Remove chicken. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones; discard bones. Cut meat into bite-size pieces; return to pan. Add carrots; simmer for 30 minutes or until tender. Stir in spinach and parsley; heat through. Yield: 12-14 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken Lima Bean Soup
"I thought this recipe may have been too plain to be really tasty. OMG, this soup is delicious and I am so glad I was willing to try it...exceeded my expectations."
"Super, super soup! I have never had anything like this before and thought we'd give it a try. It was excellent!"