Chicken in Tomato-Caper Sauce Recipe
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Galbani® Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Pound chicken breasts with a meat mallet to 1/4-in. thickness; sprinkle with pepper. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Brown chicken on both sides; remove from pan.
- 2. In same skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in tomatoes, spinach, capers, basil and cayenne. Return chicken to pan. Cook, covered, 8-10 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink.
- 3. Sprinkle with cheeses. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving equals 392 calories, 16 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 111 mg cholesterol, 545 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 45 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 6 lean meat, 1 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.