Chicken in Tomato-Caper Sauce Recipe
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Pound chicken breasts with a meat mallet to 1/4-in. thickness; sprinkle with pepper. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Brown chicken on both sides; remove from pan.
- 2. In same skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in tomatoes, spinach, capers, basil and cayenne. Return chicken to pan. Cook, covered, 8-10 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink.
- 3. Sprinkle with cheeses. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving: 392 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 111mg cholesterol, 545mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 5g fiber), 45g protein Diabetic Exchanges:1 starch, 6 lean meat, 1-1/2 fat
Reviews for Chicken in Tomato-Caper Sauce
"Amazing flavors in this dish! My husband says it belongs in a restaurant"
"Everyone loved this dish. Just the sauce would be great on pasta or rice!"
"This is excellent! I served it with buttered noodles and pan roasted squash. I want to try this sauce with fish."
"Excellent, will definitely make again!!"
"My kids actually loved this and is one they request often. I wasnt sure how they would like the capers but this just adds to the flavor. a family favorite."
"I forgot to add the cheese and even without the cheese we decided that this recipe is a keeper!"
"Quick, easy, and delicious! A great weeknight option."
"I made this last night and it was wonderful. I am not used so much cayenne pepper but it was great. There was left over sauce and I used it in scrambled eggs for breakfast, the eggs were fabulous!!"
"Winner! My husband loved it and it was a quick weeknight meal with lots of flavor, I saved time by using chicken tenders."
"This recipe is good but not exceptional. I wish the caper flavor had been stronger; perhaps increasing the amount would help. I did appreciated the large amount of veggies included--you don't need to add any veggie side dishes to this dish, just a starch! I ate it with couscous and bulgur."
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.