- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 teaspoons butter, divided
- 8 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked whole wheat orzo pasta
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup loosely packed basil leaves, julienned
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook chicken in 2 teaspoons butter until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, saute tomatoes and onion in remaining butter until onion is softened. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in broth. Bring to a boil; add orzo. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until orzo is tender. Stir in the chicken, milk, basil, salt and pepper; heat through (do not boil). Sprinkle with cheese just before serving. Yield: 4 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken in Tomato-Basil Cream Sauce
Sort By :
"This is a restaurant quality dish, in my opinion. It was a hit with my family and we will definitely make it again. It is very time-consuming, though. I have no idea how anyone could prepare all the ingredients in 20 minutes. I always wonder how they calculate the prep time."
"Have made this twice now. First as is, and then with shrimp instead of chicken. Fantastic either way...Great fairly easy recipe that looks like you spent hours on it."
"I didn't have fresh basil, so I used dried. I think it would have been much better with fresh basil. It's still good, and even better the next day. But if I make it again, I'll make sure I have fresh basil."