Chicken in Tomato-Basil Cream Sauce Recipe
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 teaspoons butter, divided
- 8 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked whole wheat orzo pasta
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup loosely packed basil leaves, julienned
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook chicken in 2 teaspoons butter until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, saute tomatoes and onion in remaining butter until onion is softened. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 2. Stir in broth. Bring to a boil; add orzo. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until orzo is tender. Stir in the chicken, milk, basil, salt and pepper; heat through (do not boil). Sprinkle with cheese just before serving. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/2 cups equals 417 calories, 12 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 94 mg cholesterol, 723 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 35 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 whole milk, 1/2 fat.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.