Chicken in Tomato-Basil Cream Sauce Recipe
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 teaspoons butter, divided
- 8 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked whole wheat orzo pasta
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup loosely packed basil leaves, julienned
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook chicken in 2 teaspoons butter until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, saute tomatoes and onion in remaining butter until onion is softened. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in broth. Bring to a boil; add orzo. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until orzo is tender. Stir in the chicken, milk, basil, salt and pepper; heat through (do not boil). Sprinkle with cheese just before serving. Yield: 4 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken in Tomato-Basil Cream Sauce
Sort By :
I didn't have fresh basil, so I used dried. I think it would have been much better with fresh basil. It's still good, and even better the next day. But if I make it again, I'll make sure I have fresh basil.
Excellent dish will make again!
Great recipe. Used fresh Roma tomatoes and basil from our garden. Great flavor.
I really liked the flavor and will make this again. I didn't have a problem with the orzo being soupy. One of my children didn't like this, but the rest of us gave it thumbs up
This was delish! :o) I didn't have any orzo in my cupboard, so I substituted quick cooking barley instead. It turned out so good, very filling, hearty and healthy. Yum!! I also used maybe 1 TB of basil seasoning instead of the basil leaves.