Chicken in Tomato-Basil Cream Sauce Recipe
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 teaspoons butter, divided
- 8 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked whole wheat orzo pasta
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup loosely packed basil leaves, julienned
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook chicken in 2 teaspoons butter until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, saute tomatoes and onion in remaining butter until onion is softened. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in broth. Bring to a boil; add orzo. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until orzo is tender. Stir in the chicken, milk, basil, salt and pepper; heat through (do not boil). Sprinkle with cheese just before serving. Yield: 4 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken in Tomato-Basil Cream Sauce
Sort By :
"I didn't have fresh basil, so I used dried. I think it would have been much better with fresh basil. It's still good, and even better the next day. But if I make it again, I'll make sure I have fresh basil."
"Excellent dish will make again!"
"Great recipe. Used fresh Roma tomatoes and basil from our garden. Great flavor."
"I really liked the flavor and will make this again. I didn't have a problem with the orzo being soupy. One of my children didn't like this, but the rest of us gave it thumbs up"
"This was delish! :o) I didn't have any orzo in my cupboard, so I substituted quick cooking barley instead. It turned out so good, very filling, hearty and healthy. Yum!! I also used maybe 1 TB of basil seasoning instead of the basil leaves."