Chicken in Potato Baskets Recipe
- 4-1/2 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, butter, salt and pepper. Press into six greased 10-oz. custard cups; set aside.
- 2. In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter. Add the flour, bouillon, Worcestershire sauce and basil. Stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add chicken and peas. Spoon into prepared crusts.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 441 calories, 27g fat (15g saturated fat), 125mg cholesterol, 1207mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 27g protein.
Reviews for Chicken in Potato Baskets
"Delicious except too salty. Next time, I will omit the added salt."
"Delicious!! I shred my own potatoes for the hash browns and it's just as great!"
"Family hit the second time I made these. I actually partially cook my hashbrowns in the microwave before shaping them in the ramekins. I also like to sprinkle shredded cheddar or colby cheese before baking. Just adds another depth of flavor."
"This was very good. I made it years ago but forgot about it. I need to make it again."
"Love this! Have made it lots of times already."
"Delicious! My whole family loved it & said "it's a keeper". I didn't have custard cups so I used a 9x9 square dish & layered the hash brown mixture on bottom, then poured the filling on top. I used cubed hash browns and it worked well. bake as per recipe. Highly recommend!"
"Love it!! I have made this several times.. Very easy and something different.."
"Super delicious! My family begs for me to make it. It is a bit time consuming but still worth the effort!"
"This recipe is great! My family really enjoyed it. Instead of using frozen hash brown potatoes use this short "recipe".Peel several potatoes and shred with a salad shooter. Shred enough potatoes to equal 4 1/2 cups. Mix with the butter, salt and pepper. Divide among 6 10 oz. custard cups. bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes. Then add the filling. The homemade potato shell is a lot healthier. Also, don't be tempted to add more salt, it is okay as it is. Great recipe, and really cute with the individual custard cups!"
"Loved this recipe! I made this for a family dinner and my dad ate two of them. Will definitely make again."
"I've been making this for years! It's great!!!"
"This is one of my favorite recipes, I make it all the time. We love it."
"I love this recipe! I make it in a 8x10 baking dish and it turns out great."
"My sister has made this several times, including last night when we were over. She uses store-bought rotisserie chicken, which adds even more flavor, and she found a frozen peas and mini-pearl onion mix that was great in there! (She did use the sauted onion in the beginning, too.) So easy, and perfect with a simple salad and a dinner roll."