Chicken Ham 'N' Mushroom Pie Recipe
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 3 cups water
- 1 medium carrot, cut into chunks
- 1 celery rib, cut into chunks
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 5 to 6 teaspoons cold water
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine the first six ingredients; bring to a boil. reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45-55 minutes or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken. When cool enough to handle, remove meat and skin from the bones; discard skin and bones. Cut the meat into chunks; set aside. Strain broth and set aside.
- 2. In a skillet, saute the mushrooms and ham in butter until mushrooms are tender. Sprinkle with flour, pepper and nutmeg; stir until blended. gradually stir in 1-3/4 cups reserved broth (refrigerate any remaining broth for another use). Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in peas and reserved chicken. Cool.
- 3. Meanwhile, combine the flours, Parmesan cheese and salt in a bowl. Cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in egg yolk and lemon juice. Gradually add cold water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. On a floured surface, roll out dough into a 9-in. square.
- 4. Transfer chicken mixture to an ungreased 9-in. square baking dish. Place pastry over filling; trim and flute edges. Cut slits in top. Beat egg white and water; brush over pastry. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until bubbly and the crust is golden brown. Let stand for 10-15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 345 calories, 20 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 123 mg cholesterol, 1,080 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 24 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.