- 5 to 6 teaspoons cold water
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon water
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine the first six ingredients;
- bring to a boil. reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45-55 minutes or
- until chicken is tender. Remove chicken. When cool enough to handle,
- remove meat and skin from the bones; discard skin and bones. Cut the
- meat into chunks; set aside. Strain broth and set aside.
- In a skillet, saute the mushrooms and ham in butter until mushrooms
- are tender. Sprinkle with flour, pepper and nutmeg; stir until
- blended. gradually stir in 1-3/4 cups reserved broth (refrigerate
- any remaining broth for another use). Bring to a boil; cook and stir
- for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in peas and reserved chicken.
- Meanwhile, combine the flours, Parmesan cheese and salt in a bowl.
- Cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in egg yolk and lemon juice.
- Gradually add cold water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a
- ball. On a floured surface, roll out dough into a 9-in. square.
- Transfer chicken mixture to an ungreased 9-in. square baking dish.
- Place pastry over filling; trim and flute edges. Cut slits in top.
- Beat egg white and water; brush over pastry. Bake at 375° for
- 35-40 minutes or until bubbly and the crust is golden brown. Let
- stand for 10-15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 345 calories, 20 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 123 mg cholesterol, 1,080 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 24 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.