Chicken Gumbo Recipe
- 6 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 medium green peppers, chopped
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 10 quarts chicken broth
- 7 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 2 to 3 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 10 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 6 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen chopped okra
- 2 pounds cooked small shrimp, peeled and deveined, optional
- 1. In several large stock pots, saute celery, green peppers and onions in butter until tender. Add the next seven ingredients; bring to a boil. Stir in rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- 2. Stir in the chicken, ham, okra and shrimp if desired. Simmer for 8-10 minutes or until shrimp turn pink and okra is tender. Discard bay leaves. Yield: 48 servings (1 cup each).
1 cup: 162 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 1168mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 14g protein
Reviews for Chicken Gumbo
"I made this with left over turkey, it was VERY good. My family loved it!"