Chicken Gumbo Recipe
This fresh-tasting, flavorful main dish is well-received when I cook it for church suppers. It's a colorful mixture of traditional ingredients.—Willa Govoro, St. Clair, Missouri
- 6 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 medium green peppers, chopped
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 10 quarts chicken broth
- 7 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 2 to 3 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 10 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 6 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen chopped okra
- 2 pounds cooked small shrimp, peeled and deveined, optional
- 1. In several large stock pots, saute celery, green peppers and onions in butter until tender. Add the next seven ingredients; bring to a boil. Stir in rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- 2. Stir in the chicken, ham, okra and shrimp if desired. Simmer for 8-10 minutes or until shrimp turn pink and okra is tender. Discard bay leaves. Yield: 48 servings (1 cup each).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 162 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 43 mg cholesterol, 1,168 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 14 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC