Chicken-Fried Steaks Recipe
These crispy steaks will earn raves when you serve them for dinner. "My husband asks me to prepare this recipe regularily," says Denice Louk of Garnett, Kansas. "I like it because it's so easy to make."
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 25 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon each salt, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder and pepper
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-2/3 cups buttermilk, divided
- 4 beef cubed steaks (4 ounces each)
- Oil for frying
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1. In a shallow bowl, combine 2 cups flour, baking powder and seasonings. In another shallow bowl, combine eggs and 1 cup buttermilk. Dip each cubed steak in buttermilk mixture, then roll in flour mixture. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- 2. In a large skillet, heat 1/2 in. of oil on medium-high. Fry steaks for 5-7 minutes. Turn carefully; cook 5 minutes longer or until coating is crisp and meat is no longer pink. Remove steaks and keep warm.
- 3. Drain, reserving 1/3 cup drippings; stir remaining flour into drippings until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat for 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk and remaining buttermilk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with steaks. Yield: 4 servings (2 cups gravy).
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC