Chicken-Fried Steak Recipe
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound boneless beef round steak, cut into serving-size pieces
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a shallow bowl, combine flour and pepper. Add beef; turn to coat. Remove meat and pound with a mallet to tenderize. Pour milk into another shallow bowl. Heat oil in a skillet. Dip meat in milk, then coat again in flour mixture; add to skillet. Cover and cook over low heat for 10 on each side or until meat is no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- 2. For gravy, add water to skillet; stir to loosen browned bits from pan. In a small bowl, combine the flour, milk and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with steak. Yield: 4 servings.
One serving (calculated without gravy) equals 307 calories, 11 g fat (0 saturated fat), 71 mg cholesterol, 67 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 30 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 meat, 1-1/2 starch.
Reviews for Chicken-Fried Steak
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.