Chicken-Fried Steak with Gravy Recipe
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound beef round steak, cut into serving-size pieces
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a shallow bowl, combine flour and pepper. Add beef; turn to coat. Remove meat and pound with a mallet to tenderize. Pour milk into another shallow bowl. Heat oil in a skillet. Dip meat in milk, then coat again in flour mixture; add to skillet. Cover and cook over low heat for 10 minutes on each side or until meat is no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- 2. For gravy, add water to skillet; stir to loosen browned bits from pan. In a small bowl, combine the flour, milk and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with steak. Yield: 4 servings.
1 each: 325 calories, 11g fat (2g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 65mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 31g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Reviews for Chicken-Fried Steak with Gravy
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.