Chicken-Fried Steak Recipe
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound boneless beef round steak, cut into serving-size pieces
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a shallow bowl, combine flour and pepper. Add beef; turn to coat. Remove meat and pound with a mallet to tenderize. Pour milk into another shallow bowl. Heat oil in a skillet. Dip meat in milk, then coat again in flour mixture; add to skillet. Cover and cook over low heat for 10 on each side or until meat is no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- For gravy, add water to skillet; stir to loosen browned bits from pan. In a small bowl, combine the flour, milk and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with steak. Yield: 4 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Chicken-Fried Steak
Sort By :
"These were good but my husband and I prefer a bit more flavor. I amp'd it up by adding seasoned salt to the flour mixture and to the gravy. I also doubled the amount of black pepper. The round steak was fine if pounded thin but we prefer using cube steak."
"I made this on the fly and was very happy with the flavor. I added some garlic salt to the flour mixture and the gravy...yummy! I will try cube steak next time, as my round steaks were a little tough. I will surely make again!"
"I found both the steak and the gravy too bland. I even tried to spice it up but I'm not an expreienced enoug cook to make that kind of adjustment. I'll try a spicier recipe next time."