Chicken-Fried Cubed Steaks Recipe
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons pepper
- 1 to 2 tablespoons white pepper
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) evaporated milk
- 8 beef cubed steaks (4 ounces each)
- Oil for frying
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- In a shallow bowl, combine 2 cups flour and seasonings; set aside. In another bowl, combine buttermilk and evaporated milk. Remove 3-1/2 cups for gravy and set aside. Dip cubed steaks into buttermilk mixture, then into flour mixture, coating well. Repeat.
- In a skillet, heat 1/2 in. of oil on high. Fry steaks, a few at a time, for 5-7 minutes. Turn carefully and cook 5 minutes longer or until coating is crisp and met is no longer pink. Remove steaks and keep warm.
- Drain, reserving 1/3 cup drippings in the skillet; stir remaining flour into drippings until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat for 5 minutes or until golden brown. Whisk in reserved buttermilk mixture; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add Worcestershire sauce and pepper sauce. Serve with steaks. Yield: 8 servings (4 cups gravy).
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Chicken-Fried Cubed Steaks
Sort By :
It didn't come out like the picture. Seemed to be like fried steak instead of breaded country fried.
Oh it was sooooooo, goooood!!!!!!!
I used elk steaks for this recipe and it was fantastic! The spiciness give it a great kick and made it especialy good with game meat.
frying the steaks in oil on high heat was a big mistake, they burned quickly. Maybe it should be heated up, but then turn down to low before putting the steak in. I had a real mess.
I discovered this recipe about 6 months ago. it is my husband's most requested dinner and also what he wanted for his birthday!