Chicken-Fried Cubed Steaks Recipe
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons pepper
- 1 to 2 tablespoons white pepper
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) evaporated milk
- 8 beef cubed steaks (4 ounces each)
- Oil for frying
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 1. In a shallow bowl, combine 2 cups flour and seasonings; set aside. In another bowl, combine buttermilk and evaporated milk. Remove 3-1/2 cups for gravy and set aside. Dip cubed steaks into buttermilk mixture, then into flour mixture, coating well. Repeat.
- 2. In a skillet, heat 1/2 in. of oil on high. Fry steaks, a few at a time, for 5-7 minutes. Turn carefully and cook 5 minutes longer or until coating is crisp and met is no longer pink. Remove steaks and keep warm.
- 3. Drain, reserving 1/3 cup drippings in the skillet; stir remaining flour into drippings until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat for 5 minutes or until golden brown. Whisk in reserved buttermilk mixture; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add Worcestershire sauce and pepper sauce. Serve with steaks. Yield: 8 servings (4 cups gravy).
Reviews for Chicken-Fried Cubed Steaks
"It didn't come out like the picture. Seemed to be like fried steak instead of breaded country fried."
"Oh it was sooooooo, goooood!!!!!!!"
"I used elk steaks for this recipe and it was fantastic! The spiciness give it a great kick and made it especialy good with game meat."
"frying the steaks in oil on high heat was a big mistake, they burned quickly. Maybe it should be heated up, but then turn down to low before putting the steak in. I had a real mess."
"I discovered this recipe about 6 months ago. it is my husband's most requested dinner and also what he wanted for his birthday!"
"Wonderful, no leftovers!"
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.