Chicken Fricassee Recipe
- 4-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed (about 3/4 pound)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a resealable plastic bag, combine 2-1/4 teaspoons flour, salt, pepper and thyme. Add chicken and shake to coat. In a small skillet, brown chicken in butter. Remove chicken and set aside. In same skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion and celery until crisp-tender. Return chicken to the pan. Add water and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until chicken juices run clear, turning occasionally.
- 2. Place remaining flour mixture in a bowl; stir in milk until smooth. Stir into pan juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Discard bay leaf. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews for Chicken Fricassee
"Tasty, simple and filling, a great fall/ winter dish! Scaled nicely for two, I doubled the recipe and it came out perfectly. Also quite economical, as it uses bone-in thighs, which are cheap and flavorful. I substituted chicken stock for the water and added a little extra thyme for more flavor."
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.