- cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with string to form a
- bag. Set aside. In a large resealable bag, combine flour, salt and
- marjoram. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a Dutch oven, brown chicken in butter in batches. Remove and keep
- warm. In the drippings, saute the carrots, onions and celery for 5-6
- minutes or until onions begin to brown.
- Stir in the broth, water and spice bag. Bring to a boil; add chicken.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40 minutes or until chicken juices
- run clear. Discard spice bag.
- For dumplings, in a small bowl, combine biscuit mix and chives.
- Combine egg and milk; add to biscuit mix just until moistened. Drop
- by heaping tablespoonfuls onto simmering chicken mixture. Cook,
- uncovered, for 10 minutes. Cover and cook 10 minutes longer or until
- a toothpick inserted into dumplings comes out clean.
- Using a slotted spoon, carefully remove chicken and dumplings; keep
- warm. Combine flour and cream until smooth; stir into cooking
- juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until
- thickened. Serve with chicken and dumplings. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.