If your family is craving old-fashioned comfort food, give this recipe a try. With plenty of chicken, veggies and dumplings on top, it's a complete meal in one.—Lena Hrynyk, Sherwood Park, Alberta
- 1 bay leaf
- 9 whole peppercorns
- 4 whole cloves
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 2 to 4 tablespoons butter
- 6 large carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onions
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1-1/2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- Place the bay leaf, peppercorns and cloves on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with string to form a bag. Set aside. In a large resealable bag, combine flour, salt and marjoram. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a Dutch oven, brown chicken in butter in batches. Remove and keep warm. In the drippings, saute the carrots, onions and celery for 5-6 minutes or until onions begin to brown.
- Stir in the broth, water and spice bag. Bring to a boil; add chicken. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Discard spice bag.
- For dumplings, in a small bowl, combine biscuit mix and chives. Combine egg and milk; add to biscuit mix just until moistened. Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls onto simmering chicken mixture. Cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Cover and cook 10 minutes longer or until a toothpick inserted into dumplings comes out clean.
- Using a slotted spoon, carefully remove chicken and dumplings; keep warm. Combine flour and cream until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with chicken and dumplings. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Fricassee With Dumplings in Country Extra March 2005, p49
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken Fricassee With Dumplings
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review