- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Crumble chicken over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls.
- Place meatballs on a rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until no longer pink. Meanwhile, cut squash in half lengthwise; discard seeds. Place squash cut side down on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 15-18 minutes or until tender.
- For sauce, in a large nonstick skillet, saute mushrooms in oil until tender. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Add meatballs and heat through.
- When squash is cool enough to handle, use a fork to separate strands. Serve with meatballs and sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Chicken Florentine Meatballs
Sort By :
"These were really good, not dry, just perfect. I actually broke up a couple of hot italian sausages in with the ground chicken because we like spice! I will make these again."
"Have made these for years, ever since the recipe was first published. Just had them again the other night. I freeze leftovers and they are just as great the next time. I make them exactly as recipe says but I add a small piece of fresh mozzarella in the middle when forming into meatballs. It puts them over the top!!"
"I have made this recipe several times, and every time it's a winner. I even used it as one of the dishes for a catered wedding reception. I had a hard time finding ground chicken, so used turkey instead. I also doubled the recipe and put the meatballs with sauce in the crock pot and let them cook all day. I plan to do it again tomorrow for Christmas dinner for my mom and me. Thanks. This is a terrific recipe."
"I would make this again with a few adjustments. Like the other reviews I would like more sing to it so I need more spices. The meatballs were pretty sticky rolling into the balls but very moist when eaten. The sauces was quick and easy with normal pantry ingredients, just need a bit more spices. The spaghetti squash was new to us and with one medium it wasn't quite enough for our family of 4. Defiantly not a single portion size int he photo! With the cost of the squash and the amount we each had we skip the squash and keep he rest of the recipe for the future."
"Absolutely delicious. I've made this several times and continue to get raves. I've even made this dish for church friends recovering from sickness or surgery. We love it!"