- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Crumble chicken over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls.
- Place meatballs on a rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until no longer pink. Meanwhile, cut squash in half lengthwise; discard seeds. Place squash cut side down on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 15-18 minutes or until tender.
- For sauce, in a large nonstick skillet, saute mushrooms in oil until tender. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Add meatballs and heat through.
When squash is cool enough to handle, use a fork to separate strands. Serve with meatballs and sauce.
Freeze option: Place individual portions of cooled meatballs and squash in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, gently stirring and adding a little water if necessary. Yield: 6 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Chicken Florentine Meatballs
"We loved this recipe! It will be a favorite from now on and I have already shared the recipe with several friends. The only thing I added to the sauce was a zucchini, quartered lengthwise and cut in 1/2" slices since my hubby doesn't care for mushrooms. I reduced the amount of mushrooms and used whole button mushrooms so he could pick them out - and give them to me! Also, to keep the meatballs from sticking to the baking rack, I would suggest spraying the baking rack before baking the meatballs. Loved the spaghetti squash instead of pasta!"
"Very very dry and almost tasteless- add a lot more spices"
"These were really good, not dry, just perfect. I actually broke up a couple of hot italian sausages in with the ground chicken because we like spice! I will make these again."
"Have made these for years, ever since the recipe was first published. Just had them again the other night. I freeze leftovers and they are just as great the next time. I make them exactly as recipe says but I add a small piece of fresh mozzarella in the middle when forming into meatballs. It puts them over the top!!"
"I have made this recipe several times, and every time it's a winner. I even used it as one of the dishes for a catered wedding reception. I had a hard time finding ground chicken, so used turkey instead. I also doubled the recipe and put the meatballs with sauce in the crock pot and let them cook all day. I plan to do it again tomorrow for Christmas dinner for my mom and me. Thanks. This is a terrific recipe."