- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
- 1 medium onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into thin strips
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1 cup unblanched almonds, toasted
- Shredded lettuce
- 3 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
- In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons oil, lime juice, garlic, cumin and oregano. Pour half in a large resealable plastic bag; add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat. Marinate for at least 30 minutes. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
- In a large skillet, heat remaining oil on medium-high. Saute onion for 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Drain and discard marinade. Add chicken to skillet; stir-fry until meat is no longer pink. Add the red pepper, chilies and reserved marinade; cook 2 minutes or until heated through. Stir in almonds. Serve immediately over shredded lettuce; top with tomatoes and avocado. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Chicken Fajita Salad
"Heaven on Earth!"
"This was great. I used pre cooked chicken."
"I use just the marinated chicken for fajitas--delicious!"
"A long-time favorite that I have made so many times I had forgotten where I got the recipe. Glad to run across 'the original' again! For some reason I never got in the habit of including the toasted almonds, but it sounds good so I'll try it with them next time."