Chicken Escarole Soup with Meatballs Recipe
- 15 chicken wings
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large potato, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 large tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 quarts water
- 1 small head (about 5 to 6 ounce) escarole
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1. In a stockpot, combine the first nine ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until chicken and vegetables are tender.
- 2. Remove meat from bones and cut into bite-size pieces. Discard bones. Return meat to the pot. Add escarole; cook 15 minutes longer.
- 3. For meatballs, combine the first six ingredients in a large bowl. Crumble beef into mixture and mix well. Shape into marble-sized balls; add to simmering soup. Cook for 10 minutes or until meatballs are no longer pink. Yield: 22-24 servings (6 quarts).
1 cup: 115 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 402mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 9g protein.
Reviews for Chicken Escarole Soup with Meatballs
"This is alot like the Italian Wedding soup, but I use spinach instead of escarole. I have even mixed both greens."