Chicken Dumpling Strips
I've shared this recipe with many people, and all agree-it never fails. The light, tender dumplings are cut into strips like wide noodles.
4 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup cubed cooked chicken
- In a bowl, combine flour,s alt and poultry seasoning; cut in
- shortening until crumbly. Combine egg and milk; stir into flour
- mixture just until combined. On a heavily floured surface, roll
- dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut into 1-in. strips; cut strips into
- 2-in. lengths. In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Add
- chicken. Reduce heat; drop dumplings onto simmering broth. Cover and
- simmer for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling
- comes out clean (do not lift the cover while simmering). Yield: 4
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 358 calories, 17 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 86 mg cholesterol, 1,047 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 18 g protein.