Chicken Dumpling Soup
"Although we were on a tight budget when I was a youngster, we always had good food," recalls Brenda Risser of Willard, Ohio. "This comforting soup with soft dumplings was one of Mom's mainstays," she adds. At 82¢ a serving, it's still a bargain.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 3-1/3 cups 2% milk, divided
- 1-2/3 cups biscuit/baking mix
- In a 3-qt. saucepan, combine soup and 2-2/3 cups of milk. Bring to a
- boil over medium heat; reduce heat.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine biscuit mix with remaining milk
- just until blended. Drop by rounded tablespoons onto simmering soup.
- Cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a
- dumpling comes out clean (do not lift the cover while simmering).
- Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (prepared with low-fat cream of chicken soup, skim milk and reduced-fat biscuit mix) equals 359 calories, 1276 mg sodium, 16 mg cholesterol, 60 g carbohydrate, 13 g protein, 6 g fat, 1 g fiber. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 skim milk, 1 fat.