In San Diego, California, reader Shirley Miller dresses up a jar of creamy white pasta sauce with sherry and nutmeg, then cooks it with chicken and vegetables. Served over noodles, the hearty combination is swift and satisfying.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- Dash pepper
- 3 cups frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- 2 medium carrots, julienned
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1-3/4 cups three-cheese spaghetti sauce
- 2 tablespoons sherry or chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Hot cooked noodles
- Place chicken in a greased 11-in. x 7-in. microwave-safe dish;
- sprinkle with pepper. Cover with waxed paper. Microwave on high for
- 4-6 minutes or until juices run clear.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the broccoli, carrots and water.
- Cover and microwave on high for 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender;
- drain. Spoon over chicken.
- In a small bowl, combine the spaghetti sauce, sherry and nutmeg; pour
- over chicken and vegetables. Cover and cook on high for 2-3 minutes
- or until heated through. Serve with noodles. Yield: 6 servings.
Editor's Note: This recipe was tested with Ragu creamy pasta sauce, using an 1100-watt microwave oven.