Chicken Deep Dish Potpie Recipe
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2-1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 cups fresh or frozen peas
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- Pepper to taste
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Additional milk
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Set aside a third of the dough. Roll out remaining dough to fit a 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Transfer pastry to baking dish; trim even with edge; set aside.
- For filling, in a large bowl, combine the chicken, peas, potatoes, carrots, celery and onion; set aside. In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour, bouillon, tarragon and pepper until smooth. gradually stir in the milk and broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir into chicken mixture; spoon into crust.
- Roll out reserved dough to fit top of pie. Make cutouts in pastry. Place over filling; trim, seal and flute edges. Brush additional milk over pastry.
- Bake at 375° for 50-60 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Yield: 6 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken Deep Dish Potpie(2)
Sort By :
Forgot to add that it was 1/4 tsp of celery seed and I also added garlic powder about a tsp.
This is the best pot pie recipe we have found so far. I highly doubt we will look for another at this point. The only thing I would change is to double up on the rue. It is pretty good for the first initial meal. But if you have leftovers, as we did, it is a bit dry after reheating. Another note, I had no tarragon so I used celery seed in its place.