For a quick hearty entree, make these no-fuss poultry cutlets from Judy Grebetz of Racine, Wisconsin. The boneless chicken breasts brown on the stovetop in no tine.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon or 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup red wine or additional reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 to 3 drops browning sauce, optional
- Pound chicken to 1/4-in. thickness. Sprinkle both sides with salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. In a large nonstick skillet, cook chicken for 4-5 minutes on each side or until juices run clear.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add the green onion and garlic; saute for 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook until tender, about 2 minutes. Stir in the broth, tarragon and remaining pepper. Cook over medium heat until mushrooms are tender.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and wine or additional broth until smooth. Stir into the mushroom mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in browning sauce if desired. Serve sauce over chicken. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Cutlets with Mushroom Sauce in Light & Tasty December/January 2005, p10
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken Cutlets with Mushroom Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review