I ladle this vegetable-packed chicken dish over jasmine rice. It’s a long-grain rice that’s not as sticky as most, but any cooked rice, including brown, works here. —Virginia Crowell, Lyons, Oregon
Featured In: 99 of Our Favorite Chicken Dinner Ideas
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon canola oil, divided
- 3/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3/4 cup undrained diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chicken broth
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon minced fresh basil or 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- Hot cooked rice
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute the green peppers, onion, celery and garlic in 1/2 teaspoon oil until tender. Add mushrooms; cook until liquid has evaporated. Stir in the tomatoes, broth, oregano, lemon juice, basil and spices. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 5-10 minutes or until slightly thickened and flavors are blended.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute chicken in remaining oil until no longer pink. Return chicken to pan; stir in sauce. Heat through, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Serve over rice; garnish with parsley if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Creole for Two in Taste of Home
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Chicken Creole for Two
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review