Chicken Cream Pie Recipe
"This buttery, 2-crust pie is stuffed with tender chicken pieces, vegetables, seasonings and a creamy sauce," says Sue Davis of Wausau, Wisconsin.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 1-1/2 hours Bake: 40 min. + standing YIELD:8 servings
- 3 to 4 pounds bone-in chicken breast halves
- 1-1/2 quarts water
- 1 small onion, peeled
- 1 celery rib
- 1 large carrot
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a stockpot, bring the chicken, water, onion, celery, carrot and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-60 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- 2. Remove chicken and vegetables from broth. Set aside until cool enough to handle. Meanwhile, line a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate with bottom pastry; trim even with edge of plate. Set aside.
- 3. Remove chicken from bones; discard skin and bones and cut chicken into cubes. Set aside. Chop the onion, celery and carrot. Strain broth and skim fat; set broth aside.
- 4. In a small bowl, combine the flour, onion salt, celery salt, pepper and remaining salt. Add 1/2 cup broth; whisk until smooth. In a large saucepan, bring 3 cups of broth to a boil; whisk in the flour mixture. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; add chicken and vegetables. Pour into crust.
- 5. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in top.
- 6. Cover edges loosely with foil. Bake at 400° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown and filling is bubbly. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 8 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC