Chicken Cream Pie
"This buttery, 2-crust pie is stuffed with tender chicken pieces, vegetables, seasonings and a creamy sauce," says Sue Davis of Wausau, Wisconsin.
8 ServingsPrep: 1-1/2 hours Bake: 40 min. + standing
- 3 to 4 pounds bone-in chicken breast halves
- 1-1/2 quarts water
- 1 small onion, peeled
- 1 celery rib
- 1 large carrot
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a stockpot, bring the chicken, water, onion, celery, carrot and
- 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-60
- minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken and vegetables from broth. Set aside until cool enough
- to handle. Meanwhile, line a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate with bottom
- pastry; trim even with edge of plate. Set aside.
- Remove chicken from bones; discard skin and bones and cut chicken
- into cubes. Set aside. Chop the onion, celery and carrot. Strain
- broth and skim fat; set broth aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, onion salt, celery salt, pepper
- and remaining salt. Add 1/2 cup broth; whisk until smooth. In a