- 3 to 4 pounds bone-in chicken breast halves
- 1-1/2 quarts water
- 1 small onion, peeled
- 1 celery rib
- 1 large carrot
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a stockpot, bring the chicken, water, onion, celery, carrot and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-60 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken and vegetables from broth. Set aside until cool enough to handle. Meanwhile, line a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate with bottom pastry; trim even with edge of plate. Set aside.
- Remove chicken from bones; discard skin and bones and cut chicken into cubes. Set aside. Chop the onion, celery and carrot. Strain broth and skim fat; set broth aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, onion salt, celery salt, pepper and remaining salt. Add 1/2 cup broth; whisk until smooth. In a large saucepan, bring 3 cups of broth to a boil; whisk in the flour mixture. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; add chicken and vegetables. Pour into crust.
- Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in top.
- Cover edges loosely with foil. Bake at 400° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown and filling is bubbly. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Chicken Cream Pie(4)
Sort By :
I liked this and would make again, but probably add some more veggies (corn, peas, etc.) and less salt. It was pretty runny once cut so I will probably let the sauce thicken some more on the stove before mixing all together.
I have made this recipe for years now. It is worth all of the time it takes to make. This recipe will stay with our family forever.
This was a very good recipe. I have made it several times and it flies out of the dish every time!
Sooo worth the time! Yummy!