In my family, we never eat chicken without cranberry sauce! This chicken is fall-off-the-bone tender; the sauce is divine with mashed potatoes. —Lorraine Caland, Shuniah, Ontario
Recommended: 52 Impressive Slow Cooker Recipes to Wow Your Guests
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (4 pounds), cut up
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 cup whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon A.1. steak sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown chicken on both sides in batches; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker.
- Add onion and celery to skillet; saute over medium-high heat until tender, 3-4 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients. Pour over chicken.
- Cook, covered, on low until chicken is tender, 4-5 hours. Skim fat from cooking juices; serve with chicken. Yield: 4 servings (2 cups sauce).
Originally published as Chicken-Cranberry Hot Dish in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2017, p82
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken-Cranberry Hot Dish
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review