Chicken Corn Bread Dressing Recipe
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 2-1/2 quarts water
- 2 to 3 celery ribs with leaves
- 1 large onion, cut into chunks
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 cups crumbled corn bread
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1. Place chicken in a soup kettle. Add the water, celery and onion; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken from broth. Strain broth, discarding vegetables; set broth aside. When cool enough to handle, remove chicken from bones; dice and place in a large bowl.
- 2. In a large skillet, saute celery and onions in butter until tender; stir in salt, sage, pepper and cayenne. Add to chicken. Stir in the corn bread, green onions, pecans, parsley and eggs. Add 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 cups of reserved broth, stirring gently to mix. (Refrigerate remaining broth for another use.)
- 3. Transfer to greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 325° for 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 12 servings.
1/2 cup: 383 calories, 22g fat (7g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 663mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 19g protein.
Reviews for Chicken Corn Bread Dressing
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.