- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 6 slices deli ham
- 6 slices Swiss cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/4 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 6 thick-sliced bacon strips, chopped
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness; top each with ham and cheese. Roll up from a short side and secure with toothpicks.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk eggs and paprika. Place flour and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Coat chicken with flour, then dip in egg mixture and coat with crumbs.
- In a large skillet, brown chicken in butter on all sides; remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings.
- Saute mushrooms in drippings until tender. Add wine and bouillon, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Return chicken and bacon to the pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 170°. Remove chicken to a serving platter; discard toothpicks.
- Combine cornstarch and cream until smooth; gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with chicken. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Cordon Bleu with Mushroom Sauce in The Taste of Home Cookbook 2011, p35
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken Cordon Bleu with Mushroom Sauce(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review